Wednesday 6 October 2010

A Glut(ton)

Arabian nights was a resounding success.  Some excellent grub, ladies, and much vinos had by all (well, definitely by me).  The bread from Murat was fabulous, just like the Turkish bread I remember eating in Germany years back.  We salvaged one and the boy and I made gorgeous lamb kebabs in it on Saturday.

Saturday night called for some slobbing but after a visit from Maryanimal, who went AWOL from book club, we sampled the dregs of wine from Friday and were whisked out to This Is Control....peeled from the sofa, stinking of garlic after eating said kebabs, for a dance and a shandy or three. 

Sunday morning called for something fried, and I had a lightbulb moment.  The boy had picked a bucket full of green tomatoes on Saturday, so I looked up recipes for... Fried Green Tomatoes.  I had thought this entailed nothing more than slicing, seasoning and frying the tomatoes, but it is actually a wee bit more complex than that:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/season-taste/green-tomato-recipes_21898.html

You dip the sliced tomatoes in milk, flour, egg and breadcrumbs before shallow frying.  The result was really delicious, the slightly unripe, green tomatoes are firm enough to take the frying.  The film title "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" has circled at the back of my mind for some years now, wondering what they actually taste like, so now I know, and a satisfying little box has been ticked. 

As an aside, who knew there were so many things to do with green tomatoes?  (See link).  I might do the salsa this weekend. 

No comments: