Sunday 15 January 2012

Have your cakes and try not to eat them all.

You may have noticed that I've taken a detour into baking territory of late.  My colleagues bought me a cake stand for my birthday in December, and this seemed to prompt other, baking related gifts for Christmas, including a silicone muffin tin and two baking tomes.

Heartened by the success of last weeks ginger cake, I decided to attempt some muffins for the first time.  The recipe was fairly simple, and called for walnuts, butter (four tablespoons of butter; how anyone measures this is beyond me, I just guessed) sugar, eggs and lemon zest, whizzed up in a food processor and spooned (slopped) into mini muffin cases (I bought some nice, blingy gold ones) then baked for twenty minutes or so.

Despite guessing some of the measurements, the muffins were really tasty!  Moist, light and lemony, with a slight nutty undertone from the walnuts.  Really easy too.  They looked a bit rough and ready, and I didn't bother with the recommended frosting, not out of laziness (well a bit) but because I'm getting a bit worried about the amount of cake I've eaten in the last week, so piling what is basically pure butter and sugar on top of my muffins seemed to be taking it a bit far.  Still, I'm quite enjoying this baking lark, and I'll be keeping you up to date with my efforts (and palming my experiments off on you).
 

No comments: