Friday 17 September 2010

Yes Pieminister....

As I said in my York blog, the weekend was really hectic, we made homemade pizzas on Friday night when I got home, but this was interspersed with cleaning skirting boards and taking shelves down etc.  So it was more fuel than anything.  Saturday night we went round to El Hueso's for some birthday Tapas action, there was gourmet promise there but it got obliterated by drunken Beatles rock band!
By Sunday evening, hangover minimised, I was craving a proper wholesome meal.  I had some puff pastry left from the Chorizo Empanadillas I made to take round to Bone's, so the logical choice seemed to be a pie.
I found this recipe on the ever reliable BBC Good Food website:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1765/chicken-and-mushroom-puff-pie
It was quite a time consuming affair as there are a few steps involved in the recipe, but it was easy to do, and so worth it.  Chicken thigh meat is tastier than breast and stays tender, as well as being cheaper.  Don't omit the bacon, it adds so much to the complexity of the flavour.  I couldn't get Thyme; Sunday evening in Derby, fresh herbs?  No chance!  But didn't miss it.  My only criticism is that it didn't need nearly as long as the recipe said for the final stage in the oven, resulting in a rather singed top to my pastry, so no photo!

I have spent much of this week in York again, the last session of training thank god.  It's too tiring going up there every week.  We had a last night out and a meal at Zizzi's, which I am not going to write about except to say I was pleasantly surprised.  I know this is a chain restaurant with one in every city, but the quality of the food was really a lot better than I expected.  We got a cheap deal with 2 mains for £12, but I think they make up for this with an overpriced wine list, especially compared to Kapadokya's.

That's me up to date, I'm going even further up North today, to walk across Morecambe Bay for my parents charity Abana tomorrow:  see their blog for more details:
http://rwanda-adventure.blogspot.com/
I'll bring you back some potted shrimp!

No comments: