Saturday 11 September 2010

Monkfish Madness

The boy has been off work this week, and therefore has been able to do luxurious things like go to the fishmarket.  He picked up some Monkfish on Wednesday as he'd never had it before.  Monkfish is a firm and meaty fish which stands up to a bit of cooking and is very versatile.  We fancied something with cous cous and I googled up with this recipe for Monfish with Saffron Cous Cous:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article4868422.ece
We already happened to have green beans in the crisper and some Saffron that Nico brought us back from Spain.  This is a really tasty, easy midweek recipe which tastes like you've been cooking far harder than you have.  I actually left out the wine and used more stock just because I'd have been tempted to drink the rest of the bottle and had to get up at 6 the next morning to travel to York, so I bet it's even nicer with wine :-).
I have another monkfish recipe I want to try, with samphire like we had with the swordfish.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

The Journapist said...

Looks and sounds great! I might make this next week (with the wine). I made a rustic Spanish stew earlier. I used those long red peppers halved, big portobello mushrooms cut into four large cross sections, whole shallots and black olives in Chilean red wine and tomato passata (almost as much wine as tomato). Just chucked it all in together and it worked a treat. I like making things big an chunky sometimes!