Thursday 26 August 2010

Chop House Delight...

This was a totally unplanned gourmet extravaganza.  I should really have gone to kickboxing tonight, but was feeling a little tired after the midweek fun last night, so I decided wholesome grub and chilling was the way forward.  I felt like making the boy a nice tea, as I'd abandoned him to fend for himself (ie get a battered knob from the chipper) the night before.
We had some corn on the cob knocking about so that got me thinking about jerking; that is, jerk seasoning, as corn on the cob is often the happy partner to some tasty Caribbean creations in this house.  A bit labour intensive for a school night but as I strolled past the wonderful Caribbean stall in the Eagle Centre market hall (no link sorry, you'll have to go and look yourselves,) I spotted some jars of Walkerswood Jerk seasoning:
http://www.easycaribbeanshop.com/index.php/caribbean-food-uk/food-brand/walkerswood-brand/walkerswood-traditional-hot-spicy.html
This is the best shop bought jerk seasoning I've found, there are no additives, it tastes really authentic, and you can see the scotch bonnet seeds in it.  Ooh, and it's HOT.  It was only £2.20 from the market stall by the way.  (Go there, it's great.)
I marinaded two juicy pork chops, (gotta be chops, for the on then bone-ness) seared them in a pan and finished them off in the oven for 20 minutes or so, this is the boy's favourite; Jerk Pork :-)  the corn on the cob was taken to the next level with some homemade garlic and herb butter, and just wilted spinach on the side, no carbs needed.  Picture to follow when I can be bothered to upload it....aaaaaaand relax...........could only be bettered if we were going to the Notting Hill carnival this weekend, but alas it is not to be, the Big Chill has cleared out most of the party funds for the time being.  Still, a bit of sun, an impending visit from some silly Mancunians, some Red Stripe and a whistle, and we'll be irie.

No comments: