Saturday 13 August 2011

Mai Pen Rai!

I can't believe I have been penning this blog for nigh on a year and have not yet got around to mentioning Thai Boran.  This is a Derby institution tucked away out of town half way up Green Lane.  It appears unpreposessing from the exterior, with the aura of a greasy cafe.  They do open for breakfast but don't let that put you off.  This is by far the best, most authentic and consistently good Thai restaurant in Derby.  I come here at least once every 6 months or so (I last ate here in January but didn't blog, lazy).
There were 10 of us in attendance for a birthday celebration.
I'm guilty of usually having the same thing; the Tom Yum soup and the Laab being especially good.  Tonight the boy strictly informed me that I ought to try something else for a change.  The problem is that there is too much choice, a proliferation of delightful specials on offer. 
I went for the Thai fish cakes to start, something that others often have and i covet, but I've never actually ordered myself.  They proved delicious, crispy, hot and with a fantastically tasty sweet chilli dipping sauce to accompany them.
Next course I decided to be adventurous with my meat and went for duck for a change, duck choo chee to be exact. Choo chee is basically a red curry sauce without the coriander seeds or cumin.  I had a side order of jasmine rice and Som Tum salad, the spicy unripe papaya salad with dried shrimp and peanuts.  All were outstanding, especially the Som Tum, which I must try to re-create at home.
The food here is extremely good value, quality, authentic Thai food, presented with care and attention.  The staff are unwaveringly lovely and friendly, even when I decided to practice my non existent Thai on them after a few glasses of wine.  The birthday girl even got cake.  As ever, we'll be back.

No comments: