Sunday 10 April 2011

Animals...to eat or not to eat?

Last weekend was taken up by the 10k, I made another veggie lasagna to carb it up the night before.  I also tried my hand at making some bread.  I used a sundried tomato and herb bread mixed that the folks left me when they returned to France.  It was really tasty but as usual my bread turned out doughy and stone heavy.  What am I doing wrong?  Too much kneading?  Not enough time proving?  Not enough time baking?  I'll keep experimenting....
I started reading a book which I fear is going to change my life, or at least my eating habits.  Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals has had me in tears more than once.  The author takes you on a journey to find out what meat is and where it comes from, exposing some extremely unpalatable truths along the way.  I'm only a third of the way through this book, but I feel like my thoughts on eating meat have been totally churned up.  Or, more accurately, that I have actually forced to think about what I put in my mouth for the first time in a lot of years.  (I was a vegetarian for 10 years, but after I started to eat meat again I conveniently forgot about my reasons for stopping in the first place.)
As a result of what I have been reading I felt like if I was going to eat meat this weekend I wanted it to be as locally sourced, free range and ethically produced as possible.  I did a bit of research and found a wonderful Derby based box scheme: Zest Express.
http://zestexpress.co.uk/
They deliver meat, poultry, fruit veg and lots more, sourced from suppliers who are as local as possible.  Delivery is free and next day, in a two hour slot like your usual supermarket type of delivery.  The food came in brown paper grocery bags and it looked amazing.  We got a huge bunch of beetroot and lots of other veg, a big lump of lush stilton cheese from a local dairy and lamb shanks from Barry Fitch Butchers in Little Eaton.
http://www.barryfitchbutchers.co.uk/
I will let you know how they taste.  I'm not sure how many more lamb shanks I'll be eating at this rate.....
With the Stilton and beetroot we made a salad with peppery leaves, walnuts and a mustardy dressing.  Delicious, fresh beetroot is worth the kitchen looking like you've been doing some at home butchery!
 Mmmmm, roasted roots.

No comments: