Saturday 20 November 2010

Falafel King.

After having massive pork chops for dinner on Friday I felt the need to embrace my inner veggie last Saturday, so turned to an old favourite, Falafel burgers.  Falafel are a delight, but fiddly and demanding of large quantities of oil to cook; these burger versions are simpler and just as tasty.  They are probably healthier too as you use a lot less oil, and the mixture sticks together really well (just add a little water if it seems too dry.  If you are a purist, you can soak / boil your chickpeas, it does taste better, but it takes away the instant store cupboard ease of this recipe.  The recipe is a BBC Good Food one:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers
I use / modify a lot of the recipes from this site as they are nice and simple, sometimes too simple, but there are lots of winners on there.  I stick to this recipe pretty faithfully, but I always add lashings of greek yoghurt to the finished product, sometimes tahini and always, always gallons of the to die for harissa I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs.  I love this recipe for being really easy, tasty and satisfying whilst having no meat and no cheese in it, as I find that cheese is my default setting for protein if I'm not careful (and I'm never careful where cheese is concerned.)


I must also mention the meal we had last night, and by proxy the fabulous fishmongers in Nottingham's Victoria Market.
http://www.thefishmongers-nottingham.co.uk/
lucky me, I work close enough to nip there in my lunch break and on Friday I picked up two fat and fresh tuna steaks for a fraction of the price they would have cost across the road at Waitrose (although their fish counter is quite nice as supermarket fish counters go).
I had the basic ingredients for a mean salsa hanging out in my fridge at home, red onion, red chili, garlic, lime juice, diced tomatoes and avocado, finished with a pinch of sea salt and a glug of olive oil.
I marinaded the tuna in sesame oil, lime juice, ginger and garlic, it only needs half an hour or so as the lime starts to cook the tuna.  I ditched the marinade and pan fried the fish in a smidgen of olive oil; it only needs about 3 minutes on each side, if that.
Served with a side of diced and roasted potatoes, this was Friday fish 'n' chips with a difference.

No comments: